At the very crossroads of creativity, intent and execution of story-telling sits the editor. Powering the vision, and guiding the process that begins on set with dailies and ends with the delivery – often many deliveries – that tell the story the creative team set out to tell. For 10 years, EditFest has put the world’s best editors on stage and in conversation with a wide variety of professionals and aspiring professionals who want to know about the choices, motivation, and back story of the editing room.
This year’s EditFest LA 2017, in a packed-to-the-rafters Main Theater at Disney Studios, brought forth a wonderful variety of editors to talk about their careers and work. The audience was comprised of aspiring editors and assistants, working editors that included Oscar and ACE Eddie award winners, students, post professionals, and those who simply love hearing about how an editor puts a story in place. From the first panel of Women Making the Cut to the Lean Forward panel that closed the day, ACE EditFest was a lively hit of a day.
The EditFest lineup included:
- Lillian Benson, ACE (Chicago Med, Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise)
- Jackie Cambas, ACE (Zoot Suit, Mermaids, Cat People)
- Richard Chew, ACE (Star Wars, The Conversation, Risky Business, I Am Sam, Singles, Bobby, The Public, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest)
- Lisa Zeno Churgin, ACE (Cider House Rules, Gattaca, Reality Bites, Pitch Perfect)`
- Kelley Dixon, ACE (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead)
- Edie Ichioka, ACE (Toy Story 2, The Boxtrolls)
- Virginia Katz, ACE (Bride of Frankenstein, Beauty and the Beast, Dreamgirls)
- Lynzee Klingman, ACE One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, War of the Roses, Little Man Tate
- Robert Leighton (When Harry Met Sally, This is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride)
- Chris McCaleb (Breaking Bad, Narcos, Fear the Walking Dead)
- Stephen Rivkin, ACE (Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Avatar 2)
- Paul Rubell, ACE (Blade, The Insider, Transformers, Thor)
- Terilyn A. Shropshire, ACE (The Secret Life of Bees, Love & Basketball, Eve’s Bayou, Beyond the Lights)
- Lynne Willingham, ACE (The X-Files, Ray Donovan, Bloodline)
Moderators included Norman Hollyn, Michael Krulik, Margot Nack, and Bobbie O’Steen.
The day ended with a cocktail reception on the lawn in front of the Main Theater, offering participants and panelists further opportunity to mingle and connect. EditFest will return to London in June of 2018 and to LA late in the summer of 2018. EditFest Sponsors include Platinum Sponsor Blackmagic Design and Gold Sponsors Avid and Adobe and the Motion Picture Editors Guild. For further information, visit americancinemaeditors.org.
Comments are closed.