I am delighted to report that we are putting the finishing touches on our second annual Tech Retreat in the UK. Based on the overwhelming support and positive response, the HPA decided to give it another go in 2017 for our second event.
The Tech Retreat is a way to get away from the hustle and bustle of your day job to learn and network with people who work in the creative technology side of the entertainment business. In the true sense of the “retreat” word, you can relax and open your mind to new ways of content creation as you network with industry leading creative technologists. What’s not to like?
By now, I hope you’ve already registered for the expanded event taking place 11-13 July at the Heythrop Park Resort in Oxfordshire, UK. But if you haven’t done so, be sure to click through here to get in on this wonderful event.
So what’s on this year, you ask?
We start off on Tuesday, 11 July with TR-eXtra (or TR-X for short), a separately ticketed half-day deep dive seminar added on to the general Tech Retreat schedule. TR-X is meant to focus on a single topic providing loads of details forwards and backwards. This year’s topic is VR/AR/MR. Chaired by Technicolor’s Nick Mitchell, we’ve put together an excellent program focusing on what creative technologists need to consider when developing a VR experience. From news to games to Coachella, this year’s TR-X is not to be missed.
The rest of the Tech Retreat runs Wednesday and Thursday. Richard Welsh, this year’s program chair, has put together a fantastic two-day session that will improve upon the excellent inaugural year’s event (hard to believe that he could pull that off!). This year’s program includes the following topics:
- Lots of explosions!
- Versioning and how to deal with it
- Supply chains and how to solve them with efficient workflows
- Examples of predicting explosions in advance through an exploration of the BBC wildlife series, Plant Earth II
- Exploding formats with a case study from Woody Harrelson’s latest project, Lost in London
- The exploding archive – how best to archive all this digital content
- Lots of connectivity
- State of the industry
- Remote collaboration on successful productions
- Cellular solutions for production pipelines
- A couple of cloud sessions (because it’s a must in our business!)
- An afternoon of AI and ML and IMF – if you don’t know what that means, then you must attend to find out!
Add to this excellent program the Innovation Zone of 20+ companies showing off their latest innovations plus plenty of food and drink, it really is an event not to miss.
I look forward to welcoming you to the second annual Tech Retreat UK!